Swift Talk Forums HERE

Didital TV

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Didital TV

Postby grumpy ken » July 23rd, 2008, 6:39 pm

Dear all,
Just purchased a new Conqueror 480 with "NEW" 15" flat screen tv with freeview digital and analogue tuners etc, only problem is that wherever I go the reception is poor and the best I have acheived is BBC 1 and 2 with ITV 1 and 4 the rest, not a chance. The tv I can live without but Swift in their wisdom have the radio as part of the tv system, ie no reception - no radio. Unlike other models in the range they have not installed the conventional radio and aerial. I feel duped and miss sold a product.
The genius who designed the areial Status 530 put it on the roof, but gave it pull out sides, which might work, who knows, I dont take a ladder with me on my holidays.
Am I the only one with these problems ?.
Many thanks.
grumpy ken
Members

Re: Didital TV

Postby carabiker » July 23rd, 2008, 7:48 pm

Hi

From the posts on other forums and reading the spec then a realised that the radio quality would be poor very small internal speakers Ok for Tv but not music

Bench tested the tv / radio found that a pair of powered PC speakers gave good out put

As we rally with out leccy the radi9o on via the tv was to much of a drain on the van battery

So installed a radio / cd/ etc and speakers but got the dealer to install an powered Ariel ( to keep the warranty ) used enclosed speakers mounted at the top of the over head locker box the sound comes out of the gap above the locker

Tv works fine with the Status directional Ariel but the Ariel will only receive one chanel
FM or AM so the number of stations is limited

If you require more info shout out

Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker
Members

Postby grumpy ken » July 24th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Dave,
You are a star, many thanks.
I am not one for going on holiday in the caravan to watch TV. My wife really enjoys tuning into the local radio stations. What we intend to do is ask the dealer to put in a radio / CD player with an externally mounted fold out aerial with two 100mm speakers under the fron overhead lockers.That has always done us fine.
It just seems crazy to have to go to these lenghts when you have just purchased the top of the range spec caravan.
Must stop being grumpy old Ken.
Out of interest - biker? which bike.
best wishes,
Ken
grumpy ken
Members

Postby carabiker » July 25th, 2008, 8:40 am

Hi Ken

On another forum at Swift group are members, they have noted from peeps comments that the radio part of the TV combo is Crap

From other peps input read the new adverts for the swift 2009 models

Also noted that peeps ether have a Flat screen TV or would prefer to select a decent make / model

So I think the next model up grade will have a decent radio system
They plan to install an extra satellite point ( 2 in total )

Now the radio is installed we are very happy with the van ( the dragon likes her music 24 / 7 )

The problem with the TV combo is nothing compared with the Bailey Senator range known as the "Teley-gate fiasco "

Swift going on the forums has provide good feed back on the product and provided the punter with customer support
In turn Swift have also brought on board their suppliers Sargent/ Alko/ Alde Thetford etc

Bailey are providing support via the forums but not to the same level as Swift team

Explorer group again on the forum not much input or help

All the best

Dave

Edit Part 2

Bmw (s)

1972 R75 750cc short wheel base black with white pin strip 99k Historic
1976 R75 750 tourer log wheel base blue / white pin strip 65 K Classic
1984 R100 RS 1000cc tourer Flame red 23 K Classic

carabiker
Members

Postby paul » August 6th, 2008, 9:07 pm

At least you got a Status aerial with an FM aerial option! My new Conqueror 480 was fitted with an Italian aerial which didn't have an FM radio aerial fitted to it at all. However, having heard the awful quality of speakers on the TV/radio (or "entertainment system" as it's known) before buying, I anticipated the need to fit a radio and did so using an internal "windscreen mounted" aerial with built in booster, and fitted it inside a nearby cupboard, avoiding the need to drill anything and void any warranty.
The Italian aerial originally fitted was not good at TV reception either, and my dealer has now replaced it with the Status version - the Italian aerial was "not fit for purpose".
These Conqueror TV/radio "improvements" together with the disastrously designed new inboard tank, single water pump and water switching system, certainly make the equivalent and significantly cheaper Challenger or the Charisma models look like a better option right now.
You have to wonder if anyone at Swift actually "road tests" such things before they inflict their new ideas upon us!
Paul.
paul
Members

Postby carabiker » August 7th, 2008, 8:59 am

Hi Paul

I tried to avoid having the exterior Ariel fitted but at then end od the day the dealer only charged me £50 fitted and the warranty is maintained
Could you provide more info / links on you set up

internal "windscreen mounted" aerial with built in booster, and fitted it inside a nearby cupboard, avoiding the need to drill anything and void any warranty.

I found some windscreen Ariels was not sure if they would work Ok in the tin box

Regards
Dave

carabiker
Members

Postby paul » August 7th, 2008, 3:06 pm

I used a halfords electric glass mounted aerial (part no 333856-0) with built in amplifier cost £14.99. Its quite good in that the booster is powered from the radio so it only uses power when the radio is on - useful when no hookups are available. Self adhesive pads are supplied to stick on to windscreens normally, and I stuck it using those pads high up, out of sight, in the nearest cupboard. Works quite well and no drilling required.
paul
Members

Postby john williams » August 10th, 2008, 1:44 am

I bought an 18 element uhf tv aerial (£11 app;from Willkinsons) plus 8ft. mounting pole (4x2ft sections) plus a bracket to fix it on the "a frame" , the last two items from local caravan shop.I then bought a "uhf" signal booster (digital signal is on the uhf band!) I managed to get a 12volt booster from maplins, but not sure if they still stock them so you might have to shop around for one. So far we have had good reception on digital, with one or two exeptions, (we tour the west country mostly) I'm an ex tv engineer (retired) so I don't like watching bad pictures!

Swift "Celeste" 1994.
john williams

Return to Technical