Swift Talk Forums HERE

alko wheel lock

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

alko wheel lock

Postby trottster » August 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am

hi to all . i have just purchased a 2006 swift challenger 490 which i am very pleased with but can you tell me if the al-ko wheel lock is a standard fit on this model as it was not supplied to me many thanks :shock:
trottster
Members

Re: alko wheel lock

Postby charles » August 3rd, 2008, 1:45 pm

The backplate receiver was standard but the red locking block etc was an optional extra. You can buy the block kit but it will cost you just over £200.

Bulldog does a version that is easier to fit but may not be quite so secure. It’s called the Bulldog MAX and retails at around £150.
charles
Members

Re: alko wheel lock

Postby ianw » August 6th, 2008, 6:54 pm

You should find the nearside wheel backplate has a special boss welded on called a receptor. You shold see it by looking through the spokes of the alloy wheel at about the ten past two position. This is what the Alko wheel lock attaches to and will probably have a steel plug screwed into it which requires a special tool for removal which Alko send you free of charge when you buy and register an Alko wheel lock. If you buy a Bulldog equivalent Alko will not send you the special tool and you will not be able to use your Bulldog.
I have an Alko wheel lock and find it quite good once you've got the hang of putting it on. It is very small and neat and meets requirements of my insurance company. To start with putting it on was a right pain, you have to position the road wheel very precisely. I thought a side jack was the answer but found that just as difficult because the road wheel rotates slightly as you lift and lower. If you try to use a ramp it's impossible to get the right height on the ramp and the right position for the wheel lock at the same time. I have found the best solution when on a sloping pitch is to have some parallel thickness wood say 30 or 40mm thick which you can run the van along until you reach the correct position for the wheel lock. An electric mover make things a lot easier.

Hope this helps and good luck.
ianw
Members

Return to Technical