Swift Talk Forums HERE

Electric Hook-Up Lead for use in France

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Electric Hook-Up Lead for use in France

Postby Matelot » July 13th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Hi There!
I have a Swift Corvette caravan, which although getting on in age (approx 18 years) is in very good order. I have taken the van over to our holiday cottage in France and it is situated behind our house. The idea is to use it for additional space for friends and family when they visit and also for my wife and I to have a a few days touring from time to time, to see other areas of France.

This August, I would like to 'hook-up' the van to the house mains electrical supply when our friends visit.

Can some kind person let me know what type of lead I should be looking for and where I can obtain one.

Any information is gratefully accepted!

Many thanks
Matelot
Matelot
Members

Re: Electric Hook-Up Lead for use in France

Postby charles » July 20th, 2007, 10:58 am

Most caravans are fitted with a mains inlet socket that conforms to BS EN 60309-2 and with a current rating of 16 amps. The easiest way to source a suitable lead is to visit a caravan accessory shop and ask for a mains hook up lead for your van. These leads are generally about 25 metres long (see pic bottom left)and you can use two (by plugging one into the other) if you need extra length. The joint would need to be protected from weather.
The only problem you will then have is that the plug on the supply end of the lead will also be to BS EN 60309-2 and not suitable for your French house. Fortunately many accessory shops also sell continental adapters to allow hook up leads to plug in to 2 pin + earth continental socket (see pic bottom right). Failing that you would have to purchase a suitable plug locally in France and swap it for the one on the hook up lead.
Here are a couple of points to bear in mind before hooking up your van. Firstly, given the age of your van, get its 240 volt installation checked for safety by a competent person. Secondly ask that person to make sure the supply point at the house is appropriately protected from both current overload and earth leakage (30mA trip) and that the polarity is correct for your supply lead.
Attachments
hookup_lead_plus_adapter.jpg
hookup_lead_plus_adapter.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
charles
Members

Re: Electric Hook-Up Lead for use in France

Postby Matelot » July 20th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Many thanks Charles.
I shall follow your advice right away.

Best regards
Matelot
Matelot